Author Topic: CMT Memories #1  (Read 9910 times)

Offline texaspepper

• Administrator
  • 1000+ Posts Member
  • I'd rather be at sea. . .or on a beach in Mexico
    • Texaspepper's Mexico Cruise & Resort Review Board
CMT Memories #1
« on: January 30, 2010, 07:59:13 PM »
Although Club Maeva/Club Tulum is no longer open, the photos will give you an idea of what is one hour from Cancun and 25 minutes from Playa del Carmen.

Palace Resorts bought Club Meava/Club Tulum in 2007 and closed the resort. All attempts to contact Palace Resorts have resulted in little or no information. All Palace will say is they have no plans at this time.

Pls share with us what you have been doing for resorts in Mexico or where ever.  Let's all reconnect.  We were all such great friends on this board and know you have some great experiences to share.  You guys were the best!  Really mean it.

As you know, CMT is a ghost town. In shambles and ruins. Here is a photo taken about Oct 2008 taken by a guest from a near by resort who walked down the beach to view CMT as it is today.

Texas Pepper
aka; David
Tell them you saw it on "Texaspepper's Mexico Cruise & Resort Review Board"

Cruises & Resort Photos http://www.texaspepper.net/

Offline seabass

• Cruise Team Leader
walked through in Oct 2009
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:43:02 AM »
Just like the picture shows, we walked through what is left of CMT in October 2009.  It looks like something in a movie, where a bomb hit leaving the structures standing but no windows & no people.  Very sad.

On that trip we stayed down the beach at the Catalonia Royal Tulum, formerly the Copacabana.  It's quite nice, adults only, remodeled rooms, great food, and quiet at night.  Of course the beach is spectacular, although narrower than the days of long ago.

Another new favorite, also in the Catalonia family, is the Catalonia Riviera Maya/Yucatan in Puerto Aventuras.  It's just up the road from XpuHa Beach.  Has the same feel as CMT, but the rooms are a ton nicer.  Priced modestly, too.  EXCELLENT food, kids club, energetic staff, great snorkeling off the small beach.  I've written a review on TripAdvisor.com.  And check out that site's forum to find a very strong following, just like we had at CMT.

We just returned from two weeks stay:  week 1 at the Cat Riviera Maya, week 2 at the Marina El Cid in Puerto Morelos.  El Cid is so much different.  Doesn't really feel "Mexican" because it's 3 years new and could be placed in any beach location indifferently.  Still it was nice, and they have up to 3 bedroom units with huge living room/kitchens.  Nice generic beach, very good food, not very enthusiastic entertainment team, decent kids club, fun water slide & water fall jump.

Adios for now,

SeaBass

PS.  I was thinking about saving up some pesos to buy the existing CMT!  It could be restored with only a few months' work.  Hmmmm....

Offline texaspepper

• Administrator
  • 1000+ Posts Member
Re: walked through in Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 12:50:07 PM »
Quote from: "seabass"
Just like the picture shows, we walked through what is left of CMT in October 2009.  It looks like something in a movie, where a bomb hit leaving the structures standing but no windows & no people.  Very sad.

On that trip we stayed down the beach at the Catalonia Royal Tulum, formerly the Copacabana.  It's quite nice, adults only, remodeled rooms, great food, and quiet at night.  Of course the beach is spectacular, although narrower than the days of long ago.

Another new favorite, also in the Catalonia family, is the Catalonia Riviera Maya/Yucatan in Puerto Aventuras.  It's just up the road from XpuHa Beach.  Has the same feel as CMT, but the rooms are a ton nicer.  Priced modestly, too.  EXCELLENT food, kids club, energetic staff, great snorkeling off the small beach.  I've written a review on TripAdvisor.com.  And check out that site's forum to find a very strong following, just like we had at CMT.

We just returned from two weeks stay:  week 1 at the Cat Riviera Maya, week 2 at the Marina El Cid in Puerto Morelos.  El Cid is so much different.  Doesn't really feel "Mexican" because it's 3 years new and could be placed in any beach location indifferently.  Still it was nice, and they have up to 3 bedroom units with huge living room/kitchens.  Nice generic beach, very good food, not very enthusiastic entertainment team, decent kids club, fun water slide & water fall jump.

Adios for now,

SeaBass

PS.  I was thinking about saving up some pesos to buy the existing CMT!  It could be restored with only a few months' work.  Hmmmm....

I think you just might get some folks that will pitch in some peso for that Seabass.

Catalonia Royal Tulum. . .our last visit to CMT, I walked up to the resort when it was called Copacabana.  Yes the beach was very nice.  To know that it is remolded is a plus.  Just might get off the cruise ships for a land stay at this one.

Catalonia Riviera Maya also looks very nice.  I just Googled it also.  Good reviews.  Welcome back to the board.  Great to see ya.  Who knows, we just might hear from Rickter and or the Texaspepper Board Babes up there in Canada.
Texas Pepper
aka; David

Offline seabass

• Cruise Team Leader
the babes
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 01:41:38 PM »
Yeah, our Babes have been traveling a bunch to Mexico.  I keep in touch via email with Skittle & Laura, sending them dirty jokes & travel tips!

Hasta la vista,

SeaBass

Offline drome

• Cruise Mate
So sad to see
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
Hi all-
That picture and Seabass' description are so sad- I have great memories and really hoped to get back there.
My husband and I have not been back to Mexico since that trip- we have only taken a few jaunts to Las Vegas. (kids in college and unemployment will limit vacations)
My sister, who was with us at Maeva just returned the other day- they stayed at Dreams Puerto Aventuras. She said the hotel was very nice- lots of restaurants and bars to enjoy. But the beach was a disappointment. The whole week was so windy that they could not even sit on the beach for any length of time. and the red falg was out all week. She said she liked it, but probably would not return because of the beach.

So- when we are ready to go back- I know I will use this site as a guideline- as I would in the past. Best wishes and Warm thoughts to all of you!  
Debbie
Debbie
Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Offline texaspepper

• Administrator
  • 1000+ Posts Member
Re: the babes
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 01:50:58 PM »
Quote from: "seabass"
Yeah, our Babes have been traveling a bunch to Mexico.  I keep in touch via email with Skittle & Laura, sending them dirty jokes & travel tips!

Hasta la vista,

SeaBass

Well get those Babes back to the board and liven this place up :D
Texas Pepper
aka; David

Offline Read!

• Cruise Team Leader
CMT Memories #1
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 10:22:52 PM »
Ha, (Mayan greeting)
Hola, amigos,
Just stumbled out of the uproar over at loco's. :wink:
Mama Lizard has a tendency to be somewhat scaley on occasion, but the link in the first post IS still active.  One of my early posts at LG enthused about Playa Xpu-ha and she promply informed me, "Xpu-ha Palace has no beach, and access to the ocean is a man-made device."
I told her I never mentioned "Palace" and my reference was to the entire stretch of sand from Xpu-ha Palace Resort on the north to Club Maeva Tulum Resort on the south.  I was saying it is probably the best all-around beach in the R/M.  Lo these four years later, I still feel that way.  
Following our stay at CMT we vacationed at Akumal Beach Resort in '06 and again in '07.  We were reserved at ABR in '08 and '09.  '08 ABR had the fire, our tour company would not send us to ABR and offered Sandos Playacar or Sandos Caracol.  We told our travel agent, "No way!"
She asked where we would go.  Catalonia Royal Tulum was our first pick.  '08 we vacationed at CRT.  I did wander down to CMT.  Muy trista.
'09 and the H1N1 fiasco shut down ABR the week before we were to arrive.  The tour company offered Dreams Puerto Aventuras or Grand Sirenis.  Our T/A's assistant was surprised that we declined Puerto Aventuras.  She's never snorkeled with us.  And my mother is another "snorkel 'til you wrinkle" diehard, she'd been to Cancun on a timeshare swap, wasn't impressed, and was intrigued by our stories.  Yet another resort to our list and an opportunity to survey first-hand rumors of environmental impact.  Unfortunately, Grand Sirenis Resort is allowing a concession to run jet-skis, a dive boat, and when occupancy is up, a parasail boat from the resort beach on Xa'ac Cove.  I did see sixty-four different species of fish there in the course of a week's snorkeling.  But one could observe impact on the ecology from one day to the next.  Go soon, if you are so inclined.  Before Grand Sirenis developed, Xa'ac was the destination for the Robinson Crusoe Excursion from Akumal Dive Shop.
Anyway, it is good to see your recovery here compared to three years ago.  I'll be dropping by on occasion.  
Mas aventuras, y'all!!

Richard, Mr. Read!, (I don't remember all the abbr's., ad inf., ad naus.) :wink:

Offline texaspepper

• Administrator
  • 1000+ Posts Member
Re: CMT Memories #1
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 03:19:38 PM »
Arturo was the fun Food and Beverage Manger at CMT. . .plus he had the fishing boat tied up by the pier and would take guest out for morning fishing.  I received and email from Patty (member of the this board who now lives in the area of CMT) saying Arturo is her neighbor. . .and she told about me (TP) asking about his where abouts.  Patty said she talked to him a few days ago and Arturo know right away the name.  Here is a photo of the day Arturo and I buried the Texaspepper CMT Board Member's Names Time Capsule deep in the sands next to the volley ball court at Club Maeva Tulum.
http://www.texaspepper.net/maeva/index.htm

Texas Pepper
aka; David

Offline leanright

• Cruise Mexico Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 07:34:46 AM »
So, you who knew CMT like I did - what's the closest thing to it down there?  I'm planning on sending my three oldest kids to Alaska for two weeks this summer and might take my 6 YO and wife to Mexico, if we can find the right place.

Haven't been to Mexico since our last visit to CMT - it was known as the Robinson Club was our fist time there:  total of 4 visits.  We just can't see spending the money if we don't know what we're getting, which is why I post.  The Copacabana, right up the beach, had such a narrow beach, it was horrible ... like sitting on bleachers, but people review it well, which tells me they've never stayed anywhere like CMT ... with a mile-long beach and food, drink and volleyball 50' from the water ... and a dock, which I loved dearly.

If there's a place with strong German and/or Italian (European) travelers, that would be great as well.  Your input in invaluable as we are not booking unless we have a recommendation from a CMT veteran.
CTE

Offline texaspepper

• Administrator
  • 1000+ Posts Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 08:12:11 AM »
The Akumal Beach Resort is very close to what CMT was like.  I have stayed twice in 2012 7 nights each and very much enjoyed the stay.  It is a smaller resort with a world class beach.  They have 3 new buildings and are in the process of pulling down 3 older sections and building new 3 story sections.  When you see the photos. . .you will see CMT.  ABR building design was copied to the T from CMT.  In fact the GM of CMT was the former Assistant Manager of CMT.  Check our my review here on the board and view the photos
Review http://www.texaspepper.net/smfboard/index.php/topic,1669.0.html

http://www.texaspepper.net/
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:16:29 AM by texaspepper »
Texas Pepper
aka; David

Offline leanright

• Cruise Mexico Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 08:14:06 PM »
Excellent, thank you kindly sir. 
CTE

Offline texaspepper

• Administrator
  • 1000+ Posts Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 08:04:46 AM »
Most welcome.  Feel free to use me as a reference should you decide to stay at Akumal Beach Resort.  I know the GM and his close staff.
David Barnard
AKA Texaspepper
Texas Pepper
aka; David

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional